The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Why no call back after phone interview?

I saw a job posting that I wast interested in and so I submitted my resume to the company.  I got a call back from an HR person who did a phone screen/interview. I thought the call went well.  At the end she said she'll forward the info/results of the call and they would be back in touch if they wanted to move forward.  She said based on our conversation she thought they would contact me. 

Well, they never called back and I'm wondering if I should call back HR to see if they can tell me why.  I'm wondering if it's because I was asking for too high a salary.  She asked my salary range and I told her a number 28% over my current salary.  Things have changed a bit at my current job and I'd really like to move on so I'd take a bit less than that.

Anyway, I'd like to call back to see if that was the issue or perhaps something else.  Is that a good idea or just let it go?
Anon
Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Anon,

Your probably screwed.  The phone screen is ususally used to determine if the applicant meets the mininum possible requirements for position and the recruiter can not ususally commit the hiring manager to brining in a candidate.  In addition, if you saide you wanted more than the range that the position pays you will be disqualified.  Even if you call them back (and trhey even remember you), and say you will work for less they now know you will leave in a heartbeat for more money.

You gambled on the 26% raise and maybe lost.

Regards
Eric Budd

Did they give you any sort of timeframe?

Doesn't hurt to inquire politely -- once.

Things may have changed on their end, or maybe the screen didn't provide the results they were looking for.
Andrew Badera Send private email

I'd wait a decent amount of time (a week or so) and if you haven't heard anything, shoot her a mail asking about a status, and re-iterate how interested you are and how you're looking forward to further discussions, etc.

If you don't hear anything else, just drop it.  They may have other candidates they like better, your salary might be too high, etc.  Or its possible their process stalled because of the economy, or maybe some key player is out of town.
Jason Send private email

it is pretty common to blow off applicants. this is especially true if you want too much money. job applicants are usually treated poorly. I ALWAYS make sure to get back to people I interview. however, some clients do n ot want me contacting applicants and they say they will do it. i know they often just blow them off.
Contractor

recruiters/HR people often do calls because they think there is an opening. the opening often does not materialize and they blow you off.
Contractor

It's pretty standard practice to avoid telling the denied applicants nothing at all.  The excuse for this is that anything said could be a liability in a lawsuit.

The real reason is they are spineless cowards who can't handle just telling someone, "no".

Being professional is for applicants only.
Lance Hampton Send private email

If you don't hear back after a week, then touch base with them - but only once.

Otherwise, just move on. I've had some companies call me up 3 months later, and then wonder why I was no longer available. Go figure...
QADude Send private email

Once when I got the old "Don't call us, we'll call you." bit, they actually called back about two months later. It seems as though they needed an extension on their contract with the USAF. They knew that they would get it, just not sure when. Worked out to be one of the best jobs that I have ever had.

All other times, I never got anything back by phone, no matter what they said on the phone interview, and only once or twice anything by mail. Why should any money making company, waste money and effort on someone that they don't want? Which is why I never reapply to a company that "silently rejected" me. If they can't start/end a relationship with some courtesy, they are unlikley to get better if I become employed there.
Eric Hamilton Send private email

I have to ask if you received any new and relevant information to a question that has been asked and answered a million times over in about as many forums?
Random Observer Send private email

If they do not call back, they are not interested. Move on. Find something else.

Seriously, what the HR person said to you, they probably said to everyone else they interviewed.

Why would you call them up and ask in effect "What is it that caused you to rejected me?" Awkward question. Even if they did answer it's likely to be a lie - we're not hiring anymore.

Walk away, no more to pay.
basildon

finding a job is almost like dating.

If someone is not interested, they just won't call you back (or answer your phone calls).

I would wait a little bit and if you don't get a phone call, find another place to send your resume.
facts of life

It is just how businesses operate today.

Try calling them ONCE a week later and leave it at that.
Zrustration

Whenever I make an application, I conclude my covering letter with a statement to the effect that I'll follow up in a few days to make sure they've received the application.

Most of the time I don't get through to anybody and nothing comes of it. A few times, though, it turns out that the application didn't reach the relevant person for whatever reason. On rare occasions it turns out that they actually are interested and are glad I called.

If you have actually been interviewed you should DEFINITELY get in contact. Again, I recommend concluding each interview by asking when you can expect to hear from them, and whether you may contact them yourself if you haven't heard anything by that time.

Of course, a lot of the time they don't call because they are not interested and are too rude to actually say so. But sometimes it's a blip that doesn't signify much. And the fact that you're interested enough to follow up is unlikely to make matters worse.
Fernanda Stickpot
Thursday, October 30, 2008

after reading your mail, the 28% increase probably killed you. if you are asking for too much money, they often just blow you off.

the best way to handle it is to say here is what I make (exaggerate what you make a little), what can you offer?
Contractor

You should ask for what you believe you're worth.
Craig Welch Send private email

++Craig -- but you have to be realistic.

Don't let employers victimize you over previous poor salary negotiations or stingy previous employers. Know what you're worth and be prepared to fully justify it.
Andrew Badera Send private email
Friday, October 31, 2008

They didn't call you back because they don't want to hire you.

Maybe the real question is "why didn't they have the courtesy of getting back to me to tell me they weren't interested" or "why would they not be interested?"

The answer to the first alternate question is that in IT hiring, they tend to treat job seekers like crap. In some other industries, the process is more civilized.

The most likely answer to the second question is because you asked for too much money. This is especailly likely given that it was an HR person you talked to. Her most likely role in the process is so figure out how much money candidates want and reject people who want too much.

While this can be bad advice in other industries and maybe was bad advice for twenty years ago, and it goes against advice given in a lot of job hunting books, I think that today in computer programming, the best course of action is to ask as soon as possible what the job pays. They're going to ask you within ten minutes anyway, so you may as well bring it up during the first minute.
The Contrarian Software Developer
Friday, October 31, 2008

How can HR (or a recruitment company for that matter) realistically gauge if anybody's asking price is too much after a telephone interview?

HR doesn't know jack about development experience vs the price they're asking.  So no, I don't think they shot you down because of your salary.  In my view a 28% jump between jobs is very realistic.

If you're really interested in the job, call them - once.
Sprite
Monday, November 03, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics